Would you shouldn't seek vet advice from ask a bunch of strangers on Facebook, and what can happen when people give bad advice.
I spend a lot of time in various dog Facebook groups as it surprises me each time I see a post asking for advice regarding their dog's health.
Maybe it's a generational thing, but if I wanted to find out about a condition my dog may have, I would speak to my dog's veterinarian.
I'm pretty sure not many would go onto Facebook and ask why they're having pain instead of asking their GP!
But many people do this, and I have seen some very dangerous advice given by unqualified people.
Here's some examples of dangerous advice
I'm not a vet, my knowledge is from attending canine first aid courses.
Giving Hydrogen Peroxide for ingesting a foreign body - While vets will induce vomiting this way for dogs who have ingested something poisonous, it's done in a controlled environment. Trying to get a dog to vomit a sock, or something large could cause a blockage in their airway. Also, if your dog is a brachycephalic breed such as a Pug it's particularly dangerous as the could develop aspiration pneumonia.
Giving Paracetamol for pain - The person giving the advice doesn't know the dogs' medical history or any allergies they may have. What if the owner gives Ibuprofen instead? or another pain relief that contains Ibuprofen such as Naproxen? This could have fatal consequences for the dog.
We all want reassurance our dog will be ok
While it's tempting to ask on social media who else has experienced the same thing with their dog, it can lead to further worry too.
No different to us Googling our ailment symptoms, we can convince ourselves that a spot on our face must be cancerous because they will list every possible outcome.
The best thing to do is give your vet a call, they'll tell you whether they need to see your dog or if it's something you can treat at home and how.
You could also attend a canine first aid course, so you know how to deal with an emergency prior to vet treatment. I recommend Rachel Bean who is a qualified veterinary professional
Help my dog has eaten something poisonous!
Keep this number handy if you have an out of hours emergency.
Animal Poison Line - A UK based telephone line dedicated to giving veterinary advice relating to poisons, stings and venomous bites.
If your dog has ingested something they shouldn't have such as medications, household or garden products. call the 24-hour vet poison line 01202 509000
Print this off, forward it to a friend, or save it for the future.